When ever I run across a one room school house, I stop and take a picture. Like big wooden barns, they are fast disappearing and I feel the need to document them before they completely disappear from the landscape. I am fortunate so many in Kansas were constructed of native stone and have weathered time and Kansas weather well.

I have loved one room schoolhouses since I was a child and my Grandma told me stories about attending a one room schoolhouse. She rode a horse to school and talked about plodding through snow drifts as high as the horse. Her sister, my Great-Aunt Agnes taught in a one room schoolhouse.

Schoolhouses evoke sweet memories of a simpler time. I hope you enjoy these pictures. Feel free to contact me with stories, pictures or locations of other Kansas schoolhouses at
ksfarmgirl@live.com or to request permission to link to this site or use photos.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Frankfort Kansas One Room School House District #35 Built in 1870


On our way to visit Alcove Springs, we drove through Frankfort, Kansas. Frankfort is an absolutely charming little town. The town park contains Frankfort's First School House, District #35 which was built in 1870. 







The park contains a lot of the playground equipment I remember from my childhood plus a very new, elaborate playground and swimming pool.  


I wish we had time to explore the town and to visit the Fudge Shop. This town definitely is on my list of Kansas towns to revisit. 



1 comment:

  1. An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers Homes for sale in Clinton mo

    ReplyDelete