When ever I run across a one room school house, I stop and take a picture. Like big wooden barns, they are fast disappearing and I feel the need to document them before they completely disappear from the landscape. I am fortunate so many in Kansas were constructed of native stone and have weathered time and Kansas weather well.

I have loved one room schoolhouses since I was a child and my Grandma told me stories about attending a one room schoolhouse. She rode a horse to school and talked about plodding through snow drifts as high as the horse. Her sister, my Great-Aunt Agnes taught in a one room schoolhouse.

Schoolhouses evoke sweet memories of a simpler time. I hope you enjoy these pictures. Feel free to contact me with stories, pictures or locations of other Kansas schoolhouses at
ksfarmgirl@live.com or to request permission to link to this site or use photos.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kansas One Room Schoolhouse, District 32 - 1890











No comments:

Post a Comment